Saturday, June 8, 2013

Round 3

Jeff has been having routine MRIs and in October 2012 the drs noticed his tumor wasn't getting bigger but had increased in density. With these result they decided to keep a closer eye on it and check him again in a few months. His next MRI was in May 2013 just a few weeks after our precious baby boy #2 was born. I had been noticing things weren't as sharp for Jeff (its really hard to explain what its like for him. He would tell me things a few times and forget things we had a conversation about earlier but remember everything the minute i would mention something. I kind of think of it as him having a fog in his brain and things just aren't so clear.) and he had been feeling extra tired, barely able to make it through the day with out a good night sleep and a few hour nap in the day. Also his vision was becoming worse and I noticed he was starting to turn his head when he would look at things. With these symptoms and the new results of the MRI, we were called in to see Jeff's neuro-ophthalmologist and neuro surgeon. The news wasn't good. Jeff's tumor had grown drastically in the 6 months between MRIs and his doctors were worried. Jeff's surgeon wanted to do another surgery! Our hearts sank as we sat in that office for a 3rd time with horrible news. This surgery was just a biopsy and less intrusive than the first two. If everything went well, the dr told us Jeff could be in and out of the hospital that same day. Surgery day was last Tuesday and I am happy to report everything did go well. A lot of prayers were said and Jeff was in and out of the hospital that same day. He was actually kept awake for this surgery and talked with the doctors the whole time. There would be times when they would ask him to move his hand and had him talking to make sure all was well. When he was out of surgery, I couldn't even believe they had just messed around in his brain! He got 2 stitches on the side of his head and 4 little cuts from where we (yes WE, the dr let me help!) screwed on the box to keep his head in place. This was nothing compared to his last 2 surgeries. He has been extra extra sleepy and a little cloudy but I am glad that part is over. We had planned on results to take a few weeks and had a follow up appointment with jeffs surgeon booked for the 26th of June. That is why the phone call Jeff got was unexpected and scary. On Thursday morning Jeff got a call from the Tom Baker Cancer Centre. The biopsy had shown his tumor is now cancerous. A type of brain cancer called germinoma. For me, it still hasn't sunk in and Jeff is handling as best he can. He is terrified and unsure but for the most part he stays strong for me and the boys. He tries so hard to help out and make my life easier. We are still unsure where we go from here. Jeff had an appointment at the Tom baker for Tuesday morning but soon after got a phone call telling him the drs want more time to look at his situation and make a plan. They said maybe Thursday but we have to wait for a phone call next week to see when we can meet with them. We have so many questions and are anxiously waiting. 

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. I can't say I know how this feels. But my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Also thanks for keeping us all in the loop and taking time to write about it! I hope you don't mind that I pass this information on to my Dad and brother as they know Jeff better than I do, and I know they would like to know how things are going for him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to pray Jeff and Cassidy, stay strong Jeff, the Lord will provide the miracle, I know he will. Love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will keep praying for you guys. My dad was at the Tom Baker center and was really happy with everything there. I was impressed when I went to visit the one time that the doctor really took time to talk to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you all and so sorry to hear this. If you need anything at all please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for you guys! The kids ask during every prayer that uncle Jeff will get better.. We love you guys, and together well get through this, let me know what needs to be done! We love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. U guys are in our thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear that you are going thru this. My prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell Jeff we are thinking about him and praying for him and for all of you! Thank you for keeping us updated.
    Dana and Alfred Burgess

    ReplyDelete